Table of Contents
‘Sundarbans’ is a mangrove forest. It is the world’s largest delta. It is formed due to the convergence of three rivers i.e. the Ganga, the Brahmaputra and, the Meghna. In addition, Sundarbans is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a Ramsar Site too.
- The history of this place can be traced back to around 200-300 AD.
- In the Baghmara Forest Block, ruins of a city built by Chand Sadagar were found.
- During the period of Emperor Akbar, many criminals used to come and hide in this forest.
- In the 16th and 17th centuries, many buildings were built here by the Portuguese dacoits.
- Sundarbans was first mapped in Persian, by the Surveyor General in 1769. He got the rights from the Mughal Emperor Alamgir II.
- The systematic management of this forest started in the 1860s after the Forest Department was established in Bengal.
Sundarbans is partly located in the Presidency Division, West Bengal, India, and partly located in the Khulna Division of Bangladesh. However, the major portion of it lies in Bangladesh.
How to Reach Sundarbans?
The Sundarbans is almost 100 km away from Kolkata, West Bengal. You can travel here by road either by car or bus. By Car, you can drive from Kolkata to Godkhali which is about 120 km distance. From Godkhali you can get into the boat to travel further. You can go by Public bus from Babu Ghat Bus Terminus on Strand Road in Kolkata to Sonakhali ( 3 hrs. journey). From Sonakhali take a rickshaw to Godkhali and then proceed as earlier.
Go from Sedah station in Kolkata to Canning ( about 2 hrs. journey). Then either take a rickshaw to Godkhali or a boat to Sajnekhali (5hrs journey). But the train is an unreserved local train and can be very crowded at times.
The nearest airport is the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport. It is located in Kolkata, West Bengal, and is about 120 km away from Godkhali port.
When to visit Sundarbans?
The best time to visit this place is from October to March. Except for a few days in between when it is too cold. During this period the average temperature is about 10 – 30 °C. The floral and faunal beauty of this place is at its peak during this period. People can enjoy the place without any hassle in these months.
Bengali is most widely spoken here. In addition, you can also find people speaking Hindi and English.
The average temperature of Sundarbans is about 32°C. In Summers the temperature is very humid because of the Bay of Bengal. It is usually a maximum of 42°C and a minimum of 37°C. Similarly, in Winters the temperature is very cold. It drops to a maximum of 30°C and a minimum of 9.2°C. The Monsoons are very wet and windy.
Transportation/Stay to prefer
You can reach the Sundarbans National Park by any mode of transportation mentioned above as per your requirements. As this place is full of natural beauty, it is the perfect location to visit for nature lovers. There are various options available to stay in Sundarbans National Park. One may choose the place to live according to their budget and desired amenities. Some of the Hotels and Resorts to live in Sundarbans are as follows:
- Sundarban Tiger Camp
- Sundarban Jungle Camp
- WBTDC Sajnekhali Tourist Lodge
- UNITED 21 Resort
- Solitary Nook Resort
- Sundarban Tiger Land Resort
- Royal Bengal Resort
- Royal Sundarban Wild Resort
Places to Visit in Sundarbans
- Sajnekhali Bird Sanctuary
- Sundarbans National Park
- Dublar Char Island
- Mangrove Eco Garden
- Hiron Point
- Sudhanyakhali Watch Tower
- Sundarban Wild Safari
- Sagar Lighthouse
- Tin Kona Island
Things to do in Sundarbans
- You can go to Sajnekhali Bird Sanctuary for Bird Watching.
- Plan a tour to local villages
- Can have a holy dip at Gangasagar
- Spot Tigers
- View the Olive Ridley Turtles at Kanak
- Plan a Night Safari to view some of the rare phytoplankton.
Souvenirs to buy in Sundarbans
There are no Shopping options here. You can only find a Souvenir shop at the Tiger Camp-Resort.
Some of the Souvenirs to buy from here are:
- Real Honey
- Organic Brown rice
- Local Handicrafts