Prayagraj is a city located in Uttar Pradesh, India. Prayagraj Pin Code/Zip Codes- 211001, 211005, 211009, 211014. It was formerly known as Allahabad or Ilāhābād. But even before that, it was used to known as Prayag. It is situated at the convergence of the Ganges (Ganga) and Yamuna (Jumna) rivers. In this detailed guide on Prayagraj, we have prepared all the information you will ever need to make your journey as easy as possible.
- Prayagraj (also called Prayag) was formally known as Allahabad or Ilāhābād when the Mughals use to rule the city.
- Before the Mughals, the city was Know as Prayag.
- Prayagraj stands where once the ancient city of Prayag was.
- It was and still is a holy city for the Hindus, just like Varanasi and Haridwar.
- Prayagraj also has a pillar attributed to the 3rd-century-BCE Mauryan emperor Ashoka.
- It is believed that the pillar was moved to Prayagraj during the rule of the Mughals.
- Prayagraj was founded in 1583 by the Mughal emperor Akbar.
- It was Akbar who named it Allahabad (Ilāhābād), meaning the “City of God”.
- In 2018 the government of Uttar Pradesh gave the city back its real name Prayag (Prayagraj), which Mughals stole.
Prayagraj is a city located in the Indian state of the U.P (Uttar Pradesh). It is one of the biggest cities of India by both mass and population. In fact, if it were a country, its size by population would be more than many European Union countries.
How to Reach Prayagraj?
Prayagraj has a high density of roadways that connects the city with all country’s major cities. Below we have listed the cities and their distance from Prayagraj to decide where you want to start your road journey. These are as follows:
- Agra 431 km
- Kanpur 191 km
- Ayodhya 156 km
- Mumbai 1162 km
- Lucknow 183 km
- Kolkata 732 km
- Chennai 1385 km
- Patna 330 km
- Trivandrum 1954 km
- Delhi 582 km
List of National highways that pass through Prayagraj:
Prayagraj is well connected with a web of railway network because it is the headquarters of the Northern Central Railway Zone of India. Prayagraj is connected well with these eight cities: Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Bhopal, Gwalior, Jaipur etc.
Even though Allahabad doesn’t have its own International Airport, it does have a domestic airport named Bamrauli Air Force Base. This airport is just 12 Km away from Prayagraj city. The other two nearest airports are:
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Airport in Varanasi (150 Km).
- Amausi International Airport in Lucknow (200 Km).
When to visit Prayagraj?
The best time to visit Prayagraj is from November to February. The weather during this period is pleasant & relaxed. It is also considered the peak time for tourists, so be prepared to face a large crowd. It is pretty nice at night.
The official language of Prayagraj is Hindi. But worry not you can also converse with the locals in English if needed. They also practice the braj language.
- Summer Season: May to June
Average Temperature: 28°C to 40°C
- Monsoon Season: July to September
Average Temperature: 26°C to 34°C
- Autumn Season: October to November
Average Temperature: 20°C to 34°C
- Winter Season: December to February
Average Temperature: 8°C to 23°C
- Spring Season: March to April
Average Temperature: 20°C to 25°C
Fairs & Festivals in Prayagraj
- Kumbh Mela in Allahabad (World’s most prominent human gathering and fair)
- Magh Mela in Allahabad
- Ardha Kumbh Mela in Allahabad
- Makar Sankranti in Allahabad
- Dusshera in Allahabad
- Diwali in Allahabad
- Rakshabandhan in Allahabad
- Eid-ul-Fitr in Allahabad
- Christmas in Allahabad
- Water Sports festival
Transportation/Stay to prefer
Prayagraj is a very hospitable city. If you try to travel as cheap as possible, you will fall in living with this city. Almost every local hotels are more affordable than in any other cities. The criteria we follow in choosing a place to stay are Good food availability, accessible transportation, the availability of cheap and expensive hotels and restaurants, etc. Based on these criteria, we did our research and picked these two spots:
Near the Treiveni Sangam
It is the city’s prominent tourist spot; thus, it is full of cheap and expensive hotels and restaurants. You will also find transportation to any corner of the city from this place. Therefore it is making it an ideal place to stay.
Near the Prayagraj Jn.
Another one is the one we always recommend. Always stay near a railway station if you are uncertain about a place to stay. It is because the railway stations will have small restaurants you can eat at. You will also find cheap hotels to stay. Another big plus point is that you will have 24×7 access to the transportation system of the railway’s station and local vehicles also.
Transportation in Prayagraj is relatively cheap as well. If you are trying to get to all the tourist spots, you have three options available to you, these are:
- Rented Vehicles
The government bus service is the cheapest one of them all. The next is, the rickshaws are the most popular means of travel in the city. They are also cheap but not as cheap as busses, but they are prefered for a short distance. The last one is the rented Vehicles; this can be a car, minivan, bike, etc. You can rent them for the day and drive around the city.
Top Places to Visit in Prayagraj
The meaning of the word Tri is Three, and Sangam is the mixture of more than one thing. Here it is the meeting point of three major rivers of India, thus the name Triveni Sangam. Here the three most sacred rivers of the Hindus meet, namely- Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati.
This historical giant is still erected in defence of the Prayagraj. This fort has seen the Mughal era; it was the great Mughal emperor Akbar who erected it. It has now become a stunning sight to see our countries heritage.
It is counted amongst one of the holiest temples present in the whole of Uttar Pradesh. This temple is located in the Prayagraj Fort; it is an underground temple.
It is a delight for every nature lover. The Mintor Park in Prayagraj was named after the man who built it. He was Earl of Minto; he constructed this piece of art in the year. It is located on the bank of the Yamuna River. You may also find the same place for the name Madan Mohan Malviya Park.
Khusro Bagh is the typical example of a Mughal garden. It was formerly a burial complex for the Mughals. This marvelous garden is situated near the Allahabad railway station. It is where Mughal royals were buried, such as Shah Begum, Khusrau Mirza, and Nithar Begum.
Cuisines to taste in Prayagraj
- Kachori Sabzi
- Chhole Bhature
- Dum Aloo
- Makkhan Malai
- Kathi Rolls
- Dehati ke Rasagulle
- Allahabadi Churmura
- Jalebi – Rabri
Things to do in Prayagraj
- Have a long walk near the ghats in the evening.
- Take a boat ride in the Triveni Sangam.
- Enjoy the local cuisine and special drinks of prayagraj.
- Visit the Mankameshwar Temple.
- Meet the local people there and learn about the history of the city.
- Go shopping.
- Taste the Mughal culture there via food and people.
Souvenirs to Buy in Prayagraj
- Electronic goods
- Computer equipment
- Religious Books
- Chikankari work on garments.